Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Sorry it has been so long since my last blog…I have been going crazy with the new job!! But I am back and ready to talk more about Liberty and Tyranny. Today you will see some page numbers noted and this is for anyone who has purchased the book to read along with me.

Since my last post I have moved on in the book and most recently read about Mark Levin’s take on prudence and progress. This section was filled with strong emotion that really laid it all out there in a way that was easy to relate to.

He explains that the conservative in this state of diminishing liberty must not confuse prudence with timidity and that we have too often lacked the confidence and persistence to defend the civil society. I don’t know about you but that point not only offends me but drives me to beat it. I am a confident person and know what I believe and if that is what we as conservatives have become then we have made a mistake.

Levin then went on to discuss that a Statist can be summed up in just one word-equality. He first explains what equality means in the words of our founders which is “the natural right of every individual to live freely under self-government, to acquire and retain the property he creates through his own labor, and to be treated impartially before a just law. Moreover equality should not be confused with perfection, for man is also imperfect, making his application of equality, even in the most just society imperfect. Otherwise, inequality is the natural state of the man in the sense that each individual is born unique in all his human characteristics. Therefore, equality and inequality, properly comprehended, are both engines of liberty.” *page 30

This is not the definition of equality the Statist lives by or in Levin’s words: “The Statist, however, misuses equality to pursue uniform economic and social outcomes”. Levin states that the Statist must continuously enhance his power at the expense of self-government and violate the individuals property rights at the expense of individual liberty, for he believes that through persuasion, deception, and coercion he can tame man’s natural state and man’s perfection..” page 31

The reason I quote this is because of the power behind it and the word equality. Our Founder’s definition of equality is the way we have been taught through life. Going back to my pervious blog of the basic principles! However, the Statist still finds a way to manipulate equality.

Now I want to point out the difference in each definition of equality. To start let’s look at just a piece from The Founders words; “Moreover equality should not be confused with perfection, for man is also imperfect..” This sums it all up for me. Even equality in its most perfect state has its flaws. This is what we live by…learn from our mistakes, be yourself, be an individual; again back to the basic principles I discussed in my previous blog.

Now a piece from the Statist’s wrods: ”at the expense of individual liberty, for he believes that through persuasion, deception, and coercion he can tame man’s natural state and man’s perfection..” I don’t know about you but I believe we just defined manipulation in its most evil form. Need I say more? This aligns in no way to how we are taught as children growing into adults yet this if what people should live by?

What I realized from this portion of reading is that we have had so much fear instilled in us that we have almost become complacent. As if we think it’s easier to not say anything or defend what we believe because we are afraid of what would happen. From what I have shared in my blog we can all see that this feeling is the exact feeling the STATIST or advocates of statism wants us (the conservative) to feel. We cannot allow this. We need to step up and fight for what we believe, for what is right! I don't know about you but I am ready to find the confidence and persistence that Levin spoke of and show everyone what “CHANGE” really looks like!

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree. We cannot sit back and watch things play out. We must engage in the process!!! I like to ask people how all that" Hope and Change" is working out for them??? I Enjoyed this post and i am enjoying the book. thx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mag's This is awesome!!!!! keep it coming. Grampa would be so proud of you. It makes me want to cry!!!! Since I can't ask grampa questions anymore It looks like your it!!! JDP junior!!! Love this and you. xxooo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I say MAGGIE GIBBONS for office!!!!

    ReplyDelete